Hertford 4thXV — Grizzlies

A bad day at the office as the top of the table clash with Hertford ends in a bad defeat.

This weeks game was our first league match in a few weeks and we travelled to Hertford. We were full of hope in getting our season back on track after a couple of losses in friendly fixtures.

On an otherwise perfect day for Rugby, Storm Brian decided to blow in full force which made the conditions tricky. We should have heeded the storm warnings as a rampant Hertford blew us off the field and dealt us one our worst defeats in recent times.

Even with an injury stricken squad we managed to put out a decent side. A good mix of youth and experience. Brawn and speed. Alas our tackling and defence wasn’t up to it’s usual standard and Hertford scored early on. That is normally the wake up call the Grizzlies need but again our response was not what it should have been.

Hertford scored again quickly which was compounded as I had to go off with an ankle injury that will see me out for at least 3-4 weeks. Things didn’t get any better as they ran in 4 more unanswered tries to make the Half time score 34-0.

The second half was a tough slog but hats off to the the guys, even though things weren’t going our way they stuck at the task. With the introduction of some fresh legs JP, Stu Williams and Eddie Panting we managed to put together some decent attacks which resulted in Tawanda scoring a great kick and chase try. When everyone thought he would kick on he instead made a great pick up from the kick and powered past the defender to score our first.

It was a tough, bruising game as well with several more Grizzlies limping off injured and 2 of the Hertford players being sin binned thanks to foul play on Alan Gray. Darren Coley almost got our second try after a mazey run through the Hertford defence then a clear race to the try line. Unfortunately it was deemed a knock on before grounding and so the try was disallowed.

Our second score eventually came when from a penalty the ball was played through the backs hands rather than the quick tap and go from the forwards. Andy Doyle found our number 10, Robin Bye in a gap which he ran through and split the defence to score. Hertford though didn’t ease off and scored 4 more tries to make the final score 60-10.

It was a bitterly disappointing defeat and a very quiet changing room after the match. No finger pointing other than we just didn’t perform when we needed to. We know we should have and could have played better. But no denying we were beaten by the better team on the day.

After such a heavy defeat we didn’t need a DoD but one Grizzlies deserved MoM for his courage, commitment and determination not to give up. He almost scored a try and deserved one. MoM went to Darren Coley.

One of those days to forget and now we look forward to welcoming Royston 2XVs to our place next Saturday. The Grizzlies will have a lot to prove and will be fighting tooth and nail to restore some pride back into the team. I know we will bounce back and be a stronger team for it.

Kim Watson
Captain Grizzlies


Hertford Rugby Football Club
Hertford Rugby Football Club, Highfields, Hoe Ln, Ware SG12 9NZ, UK

Leave a Reply