Grizzlies — Chesham 2ndXV

An error strewn afternoon leaves the Grizzlies frustrated and with a loss.

On a bitterly cold afternoon but with the sun shining the Grizzlies welcomed Chesham 2XVs to Woollhams. One place below us in the league Chesham turned up with 15 men in the hope of leap frogging us. The Grizzlies were welcoming back quite a few players from injury and like Chesham we didn’t have the usual depth in our squad with only 16 players.

As has been the case for most of this season the Grizzlies started off poorly as Chesham registered the first score after only 2 minutes. A maul had formed in our 22 and we had secured the ball and were in possession. Out of nowhere and to the total bemusement of the Grizzlies players one of the Chesham forwards had stolen the ball back and came charging through to run in their first try. Conversion made. 0-7. It was a score that seemed to wake the team up and we started to claw our way back in terms of possession and territory. Building though the phases the Grizzlies first score came after 23 minutes when Simon Huntley powered his way over the line and brought us back into the match. Conversion was missed 5-7.

Just as we were building up a head of steam Chesham hit back with another easy score. Again another defence error saw them break through the line to touch down. 5-12. It was annoying as we had worked hard to get back, but again Chesham punished our defensive frailties and they score another before half time. 5-19. Half time.

Even though we were 2 converted tried down it didn’t feel like we were out of the game and we all felt it was there for the taking. In the second half we played very much in their half of the pitch. We had possession and territory, but nothing was coming off. Some great runs by the O’Brien’s Pat and Andy, a mazey cross field effort from Tito Fernando but alas no score. Our second came from Darren Ead who just previous to scoring had a bloody encounter with the Chesham no.9. After wiping the claret away and fire in his belly he forced his way over the line to bring us back into the game. Robin Bye converted 19-12. Alas that was to be the last score from us, but Chesham managed to cross the line once again to make the final score 24-12.

It was one of those afternoons that just didn’t go our way. We played some nice rugby at times and had some great back play that annoyingly would end up with a knock on or forward pass. As a team we lacked the composure and we weren’t clinical enough. Individual runners would take the ball on their own without support and get turned over. Missed tackles all over the field allowed Chesham to cross our line 4 times in an afternoon where we dominated in the possession and territory. I have to give Chesham credit for their solid and dogged defence that saw them take down our strike runners with ease. We found it very difficult to break the line. A thoroughly frustrating afternoon which saw the Grizzlies not at their best.
We move on and will do better in our next league game against Pinner and Grammarians away on the 9th Dec.


MoM went to Simon Huntley for his tireless effort all afternoon which saw him start at Prop and end up at 8. His bloody nose was testament to how hard he worked and he fully deserved his try.

“Chris of the Day” went to Andy O’Brien for his amazingly unique tackle technique. His take on it was he was trying to cover all bases when he did a Star Jump and caught the leg of the Chesham Attacker which resulted in a penalty.


Kim Watson
Grizzlies Captain


Woollams Pavilion
Old Albanian Sports Club, 160 Harpenden Rd, St Albans AL3 6BB, UK

Leave a Reply