Cuffley 2ndXV — Grizzlies

Grizzlies 4 match winning streak comes to an end

This weekend the Grizzlies took on Cuffley away. After the winning start to the season we were looking at keeping the momentum going, this unfortunately was not the case. The team had been hit by a number of injuries to key players but we still took a strong side.

The game from the start was a physical affair with both teams putting in huge hits. Cuffley had the first opportunity to score but was denied by Andy O’Brien who made a great try saving tackle. With a couple of missed passes and tackles in our own half, Cuffley took the lead in the 16th minute with a converted try. Cuffley was on the attack straight from the kick off and saw them work their way down the field and in for their second try in the 24th minute. The conversion was missed.

An Intercepted pass saw Cuffley over for their third converted try at 29 minutes. The Grizzlies came out strong at the Kick Off and recovered the ball, this led to OA’s getting not one but 5 consecutive penalties for Cuffley being off side at the the breakdown. A quick tap and go on the last penalty saw Carl Lavin cross over the line for a try. It was annoyingly disallowed as the Referee was still speaking to the opposition at the time and he brought it back to be retaken. This was to be Lavin’s last input into the game as he left the field with a hamstring injury. Penalty taken again and losing the line out gave Cuffley a chance to clear their lines. Cuffley lead 19-0 at half time.

The second half started much the way the first half had ended with the ref seeming to influence the game with calls that baffled everyone on and off the field. A line out to Cuffley 10 minutes on the OA’s line saw them in for their fourth try. A lot of stop, start rugby then followed with the ref making calls and questioned decisions on almost every play. It felt like he was losing control of the game. This was summed up when Cuffley were awarded a penalty try for a ‘Late Tackle’, which again seemed to baffle all on and off the field.

A lovely cross field kick by Chris Butterworth saw the Grizzlies with a line out 10 meters out. Again we let ourselves down as lineout was lost, and a scrum was awarded to Cuffley. This seemed to power the forwards on who completely demolished the Cufflley pack resulting in an OA’s penalty. A tap and go and numerous pick and carries saw Simon McGuiness cross over the try line for the Grizzlies first Try. It was converted by Robin bye.

What followed was just comical. Robin Bye was yellow carded for diving over the ball??. Cuffley kicked the ball down field which was watched into touch by Gareth Williams, amazingly it was not called out by their linesman, Cuffley then regathered the ball and try was awarded.

The Grizzlies kept their heads up continued to put their bodies on the line and never backed down. The score line suggests a mauling but in reality it was a closer game than that. It was one of those bad days at the office for the boys. Final score 45-7 to Cuffley.

MOTM – George Middleton
Chris of the Day – Darren Ead

Our next match is Tabards 2XV’s at Home.

Craig Hattingh
Team Manager


Cuffley rfc
Cuffley RFC, E Lodge Ln, Enfield EN2 8BA

Leave a Reply